Saturday, May 24, 2014

Wisdom Unpeeled: Chief of SurveyMonkey shares in Sydney

Wisely Shared: Dave Goldberg CEO SurveyMonkey
With SurveyMonkey looking to set up base in Australia,  there is a trend whereby American tech companies are taking a fresh look at the Australian market.

Dave Goldberg (husband of Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg) talked about SurveyMonkey's expansion plans, entrepreneurialism and his 'why'.  This gave me a clear re-frame of my own 'why' for which I am grateful to have attended this talk.





Highlight Notes:

Have a great team
Choose who you work with carefully.   An average product with a great team will have a chance to turnaround. The best product,  with an average team will struggle to get off the ground.  This reminds me of quote by Jim Rohn which says that we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with.

Challenge people to think about things differently 
Don't waste time telling people what they already know. Think beyond common ways of thinking.

Know why you do what you do
Dave shared with us some of his 'why'
  1. Work with people you like (I am hearing this a lot lately where people are making the choice not to work with 'jerks'  and also seeing the converse; the emotional damage of working with people they don't like / respect)
  2. Learn something new each day
  3. Be part of something that makes a big impact
This made me think about my own 'why' and it was a similar three (why re-invent something which resonates)
  1. Work with people I like (it makes work more fun)
  2. Learn (avoid my chronic fear of being bored)
  3. Maximise possibility

 Wisely Shared: "To be a good leader, you need to have conviction in your mission, then people will follow you".

Location:  Hub Sydney



No comments:

Post a Comment